1. RB Noah Cain: The downside of RB-by-committee is overrated, but when The Guy emerges, see it for what it is.
2. S Lamont Wade: Team-high 11 tackles and a sack for a 5-9, 190-pound safety.
3. DE Shaka Toney: Three sacks for a prototype speed rushing-end.
4. LB Ellis Brooks: Should have showed up on the MR before now. Emblematic of the defense — there’s essentially no dropoff when Penn State goes to its No. 2 MLB.
5. TE Nick Bowers: No. 2 tight end averaging over 27 yards per catch. See Ellis Brooks comment above.
1. RBs not named Noah Cain: When does a committee become a supporting cast?
2. Kickers Jake Pinegar and Jordan Stout: Not long ago, this duo looked like a sizable strength. Still could be, but the last couple weeks have been wobbly.
3. WR Mac Hippenhammer: MIA Saturday. Seems to be losing traction.
4. DE Shane Simmons: James Franklin seems to love him, but we haven’t seen it in a game yet.