Off to a quick five goals and a 2-0 start to the season, the Franklin & Marshall men’s soccer team faced its first true test against 14th-ranked Washington & Lee on Saturday afternoon at Tylus Field.

The Diplomats passed.

Warwick grad Alex Lalovic scored on a header with 6:50 remaining in the second overtime to keep the Dips undefeated and give them a 2-1 victory.

Better yet, the victory over a ranked team in NCAA Division III should help the Dips make some noise nationally.

“It was a great game for us,” Franklin & Marshall head coach Dan Wagner said. “We circled W&L on our schedule. They are a top-10 level team and we’ve had some great games with them. This was a big one.”

It’s big for a number of reasons. But as it applies to the moment, Lalovic’s goal put the stamp on Franklin & Marshall’s resilient play on Saturday.

Though it trailed early, F&M had plenty of opportunities to tie and take the lead.

In the first half, senior captain Jim Connolly hit the left post on a penalty kick that would have tied the game at 1. Connolly also hit a crossbar on a shot that could have given the Dips the lead and missed just over the crossbar on a shot that would have won the game.

But rather than hang their heads, the Dips dug deep.

“Psychologically, when you miss a PK, it’s hard,” Wagner said. “It’s very hard to miss it and it takes the wind out of your sails and you just say to yourself, ‘This isn’t going to be our day.’ And that just isn’t our group. It’s a tough group and really incredible chemistry.”

Shortly after Connolly missed the penalty kick, freshman A.J. Kopacz scored with a one-timer off a headed pass from fellow freshman Kane Feudtner to knot the game at 1 with 19:18 to go in regulation.

Connolly, the reigning Centennial Conference player of the week on the strength of a goal and three assists in the opening week of the season, had another chance with 6:17 left in regulation when his would-be game-winner hit the cross bar.

Then, Connolly missed just over the cross over the cross bar with 6:45 remaining in overtime.

Though those chances would have demoralized most teams, Wagner’s group was up for the test.

“We didn’t convert a PK and we hit the crossbar a couple of times, but I definitely think we deserved it. We’re excited,” Wagner said. “It’s been seven years since we’ve lost a game in overtime, so we get excited when we hit overtime. It’s a great belief we have in ourselves.”

There is no rest for the weary. After the double-overtime victory, Franklin & Marshall (3-0) returns to action this afternoon when it hosts Richard Stockton University at Tylus Field at 1 p.m.

At 2-2, Stockton enters today’s game fresh off a 5-0 victory against Marywood on Saturday.