USA GB 1.jpg

Team USA's Mackenzie Allessie chases a loose ball in FIH Pro League play against Great Britain on Sunday, March 31, 2019.

For the third time in nine FIH Pro League games, the U.S. women's field hockey team found itself in a shootout Saturday morning.

While Lauren Moyer scored the tying goal late in the third quarter, it would be No. 2 Great Britain netting the final shot of the game to claim a 2-1 shootout victory at the Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre in London.

Team USA rallied back to knot the game at 1-1 thanks to Moyer's tally, earning both teams a point in the league standings. The shootout victory earns Great Britain a bonus point as the squad closes in on fifth place, while the U.S. remains last with just four points this season.

Great Britain got the first look at the cage as Lily Owsley split a pair of defenders on a breakaway. Her reverse would be saved by U.S. goalie Kelsey Bing, however, who was very busy in the first half.

Bing again stopped Owsley in the period's final minute, but kicked the ball away and into a teammate to give Great Britain a penalty corner. Owsley's sweep was turned away, but it was the rebound attempt that came even closer – slicing across the front of the cage and narrowly missing a British stick by the right post for the deflection.

The U.S. would get it's first shot four minutes into the second quarter. Donegal's Mackenzie Allessie earned a corner, but Kat Sharkey's straight shot would be saved. Team USA maintained possession, but Warwick graduate Alyssa Manley also saw her shot saved a minute later.

Great Britain went on the attack in the final two minutes, earning another corner, which was deflected over the cage by Taylor West, and watching Hannah Martin's shot get turned away by Bing.

There was no stopping the next British corner, however, as Giselle Ansley sent a low drag flick into the backboard to put the home team up 1-0 at halftime.

Bing made a pair of diving stops to open the third quarter before Team USA finally got the ball to the far side of the field. Allessie quickly earned another corner and the 12th-ranked Americans remained persistent and found the equalizer.

Ashley Hoffman's initial shot was blocked by Owsley, but the ball bounced to Julia Young in the middle of the circle. Her shot was saved by British goalie Sabbie Heesh, but the ball ricocheted off the keeper's pads and toward the baseline, where Caitlin Van Sickle had been waiting after inserting the corner. With Heesh coming out to meet her, Van Sickle centered the ball to Moyer, who slid it across the goal line.

Great Britain earned consecutive corners in the fourth quarter, but the closest shot would come with five minuted left on the clock. Ansley pulled back and fired, but her reverse pinged off the outside corner of the cage, where the post and crossbar meet.

That sent the game into a shootout, where Sharkey gave the U.S. and early lead and Bing smothered the first three British attempts. Tessa Howard would slip a ball between the goalie's legs and Anna Toman worked around a diving Bing to secure the win.