LNP follows these guidelines for custom content in order to ensure disclosure and transparency. We will always:
- Clearly label sponsored content
- Ensure that all sponsored content is held to the highest standards of honesty, integrity, accountability, accuracy and responsibility
- Ensure that the reader understands the source and sponsor of the content
- Use real names with all work
- Disclose all potential conflicts of interest, both to the client before accepting the assignment and to the reader in the final work
- Report and write stories with fairness and honesty
- Use professional writers and give writers credit for their work
- Employ distinct design/labeling so readers don’t confuse sponsored content and editorial content
- Ensure that websites/online channels will be updated in a responsible and timely manner
- Ensure that social media posts of sponsored content are clearly labeled
- Reserve the right to approve or reject content to guide against conflicts of interest or potentially harmful alliances
The Custom Content Editor(s) are solely responsible for the research, writing and production of custom content. This policy applies equally to custom content across all platforms including, but not limited to print and digital formats.
Sponsored Content is not intended to in anyway mislead the reader into thinking they are reading editorial contest.
Types of LNP Sponsored Content:
Content submitted by an advertiser. Can be either written by advertiser or written (re-written) by LNP marketing division. Generally promotes specific advertiser brand and topics are dictated by the advertiser. All advertorial is edited by the marketing editor.
How to recognize advertorial:
In print: Different typeface than editorial content. Clearly marked “ADVERTISING” at top of article or content box.
Online: Clearly marked “ADVERTISING” on front of site and on top of article/content.
Content that is produced by the LNP marketing department to inform or entertain a specific audience segment and is sponsored by an advertiser with interest in reaching that particular audience. Sponsored content may also be produced by a third party on behalf of an advertiser, but will be subject to the same standards outlined herewith.
How to recognize sponsored content:
In print: Different typeface than editorial content. Clearly marked “sponsored content” at top of article or content box.
Online: Clearly marked “sponsored content” on front of site and on top of article/content. The sponsorship information can also be identified by pale yellow shading behind or around the content.
Sponsored Editorial Content:
Content of an entertaining or informative nature produced by the LNP editorial staff that lends itself to potential sponsorship without in any way compromising credibility.
How to recognize sponsored editorial content:
In print: The content will have the same typeface as other editorial content. There will be a separate box near the sponsored editorial content specifically listing the sponsor(s). Announcements in the form of advertisements promoting the sponsored editorial content will likely appear in the days ahead of the publication of the content that will also list the sponsor(s). The sponsors will have absolutely no input in the sponsored editorial content, nor will they have access to the content prior to its publication.
Online: Sponsorship information will always appear with any content produced by the editorial department. Announcements in the form of advertisements promoting the sponsored editorial content will likely appear in the days ahead of the publication of the content that will also list the sponsor(s). The sponsors will have absolutely no input in the sponsored editorial content, nor will they have access to the content prior to its publication.
Content from multiple sources, possibly including repurposed content originally produced by LNP editorial personnel, related to a specific and targeted area of interest, such as health or child-rearing and housed on either a specific area on LancasterOnline or having its own separate URL.
How to recognize a sponsored microsite:
Sponsorship information will be clearly labeled at the top of each page of the site. All advertising positions will contain advertising messaging from the sponsor.