Melinda Ann Schell Mendoza, 46, passed away with her family by her side following a courageous battle with breast cancer on Thursday, August 9, 2018. Born in Phoenixville, PA she was the daughter of the late Richard Harvey Schell (whom she will join in heaven) and Joyce Lillian Custer Schell of Gilbertsville, PA and the wife of Luis Carlos Mendoza for over 22 years as they met and fell in love at Millersville University.
She graduated from Boyertown High School and Millersville University with a bachelor's degree in Communications and as a four-year starter of the Women's Lacrosse team earning her Varsity Letter. She worked with Gold Star members and families for Survivor Outreach Services in the Pennsylvania National Guard. She was a member of St. Joseph Catholic Church, Lancaster.
Melinda's 8-year battle with breast cancer did not slow her down! She fought valiantly and with stubborn determination to continually enjoy her life. Most of Melinda's happiest times were spent with Luis and their kids' activities: McCaskey soccer with Luis, Prestige Gymnastics with Angelica and cooking for them her famous ‘Mindy' Burgers, homemade salsa and wonton noodles.
In addition to her husband, her family includes her son, Luis Carlos Mendoza, II, her daughter, Angelica Samarra Mendoza, two sisters: Yvonne and Scott Gabel, Barto, PA, Tammy and Peter Bonargo, Sinking Spring, PA, brother, Mark and Megan Schell, West Chester, PA, two aunts: Cheryl and Bob Mysliwy, Lake Placid, FL and Patricia Custer, Spring City, PA, uncle Larry and Jean Schell, Frederick, PA, father and mother-in-law, Luis Mendoza and Aurelia Cañizares Mendoza, Lancaster, PA, brother-in-law, Daniel and Brenda Mendoza, Naples, FL and sister and brother-in-law, Ursula Mendoza- Carrasquillo and Manny Carrasquillo, Lancaster, PA.
Relatives and friends are respectfully invited to Melinda's Celebration of Life Memorial Gathering at Clipper Magazine Stadium, 650 N. Prince Street, Lancaster, PA 17603 on Monday, August 20, 2018 from 5:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. The family requests picnic casual attire (please do not wear black) in this beautiful outdoor setting (rain or shine). Viewings will be held at The Groffs Family Funeral Home, 528 W. Orange Street (corner of W. Orange & Pine Sts.), Lancaster, PA on Friday, August 17, 2018 from 5:00-8:00 p.m. and on Saturday, August 18, 2018 from 5:00-8:00 p.m.
In lieu of flowers, donations in Melinda's memory may be made to:
1. PA Wounded Warrior, 1117 Country Club Road, Camp Hill, PA 17011;
2. Ann B. Barshinger Cancer Institute Fund, Lancaster General Health Foundation, 609 N. Cherry Street, Lancaster, PA 17603;
3. McCaskey Boys Soccer Booster c/o Peter Speitel, 62 New Garden Ave., Lancaster, PA 17603;
4. Breast Cancer Research Foundation, 60 E. 54th Street, Floor 8, New York, NY 10022;
5. Humane League, 2195 Lincoln Hwy E., Lancaster, PA 17602;
6. The Refugee Center and Community School at Reynolds Middle School, 605 W. Walnut Street, Lancaster, PA 17604;
7. Millersville University Women's Lacrosse, Millersville University, PO Box 1002, Millersville, PA 17551-0302.
Please visit Melinda's Memorial Page at