A transformer fire caused a small amount of property damage Thursday above a vacant store at the Rockvale Outlets in East Lampeter, Ronks fire chief Dave Gribble said.
Firefighters from three departments were called to the former Van Heusen store at 35 S. Willowdale around 6:45 p.m., after a passerby noticed smoke coming from an awning, Gribble said.
The fire chief said a transformer located inside a wall, which had been used to power a sign above the store, caused the fire. There were no injuries and no damage occurred inside the building, Gribble said. He characterized the exterior damage as "minimal."
Cortney Kress, a front desk worker at the nearby Holiday Inn Express, said the numerous trucks that came rushing to the scene "definitely stood out," especially since the outlet stores were closed.