park lane fire

Lancaster Township fire Capt. Justin Brian meets a medic in front of the home. 

Two people required medical treatment after a fire Monday night in Lancaster Township.

A man was burned and an elderly woman suffered smoke inhalation in the blaze at 10 Park Lane, near the Gable Park Woods development, according to Lancaster Township fire Lt. Greg Leaman.

Crews were dispatched to the home at 7:39 p.m. after one of the occupants called 911 and said they extinguished a grease fire on top of the stove, Leaman said.

No flames or smoke were evident when the first units arrived.

Inside, firefighters found a burnt pan on the stove. A coffee maker and face of the microwave above the range had melted from the heat, and the wooden cabinets and ceiling above the microwave were blackened by the fire and the heat that was generated from the burning plastic of the microwave.

Three residents in the home were alerted by the fire alarm. A resident said the stove was turned off after use but a pan of oil left on the range caught fire.

A male resident extinguished the fire in the kitchen before 911 was called. He sustained burns to his hands and arms. An elderly woman was evaluated for smoke inhalation. Both were treated on the scene by medical personnel.

Damage to kitchen was estimated at $6,000, according to Leaman.

Firefighters were at the scene for 30 minutes. Lancaster Township was assisted at the scene by units from Blue Rock Fire Rescue.

What to Read Next

Tags