You are the owner of this article.

Can I pass oversized farming equipment on the road? How did Salunga get its name? [We the People]


Several young men check out a John Deere tractor at the 2015 Benefit Auction for the Clinic for Special Children on Saturday at the Leola Produce Auction.

LancasterOnline is answering your questions through We the People, a public-powered journalism project. You ask, you vote and our reporters find the answers.

Here are a few answers to questions that had not yet made it to the voting round.

If you have a Lancaster County-centric question, submit it below and your question may be featured in a future article.

Enter your email to ask us your question.

What are the laws regarding oversized farm equipment on public roads? Sometimes traffic is stuck behind them for miles!

slow moving vehicle

There are two types of farm-related vehicles, and both are road-legal with stipulations. 

- Farm vehicle: trucks and tractor-trailers used exclusively for farming purposes. They're registered with PennDOT much like cars and other vehicles. Examples include grain trucks, tankers, cattle trucks and pick-up trucks.

- Implements of husbandry: are probably the oversized vehicles you're thinking of, which include tractors, planters, cultivators, etc. They are required to be inspected, too.

According to PennDOT, all vehicles that go less than 25 mph by design are required to display a special orange triangle.

Larger implements of husbandry (up to 16 feet wide) are street-legal from sunrise to sunset. Otherwise, the rule of thumb is generally 8 feet, 6 inches, according to PennDOT's fact sheet. Operators of such vehicles must abide by several requirements and restrictions.

You can pass these vehicles if you are not in a "no-passing zone," and if you can see that there is no oncoming traffic. 

Question submitted by Lynley C.

Where did the name of the town Salunga originate?

Salunga is the latter part of a name given by the Delaware Native Americans.

When they settled, they called the nearby creek the "Chiquesalunga Creek," meaning "place of the crayfish," according to the Susquehanna River Basin Commission.

Now, we call it "Chiques Creek" - dropping the Salunga part. The Salunga name was reclaimed when the town was settled. 

Question submitted by M. Velde.

More 'We the People'