Six businesses were damaged in a two-alarm fire Sunday morning in the Village Center office complex on West Main Street (Route 23) in Leola.

About 60 percent of the building complex, which included a 150-year-old building, sustained heavy fire damage in the 7:13 a.m. fire, said Sam Huber, assistant fire chief for the Upper Leacock Fire Company.

The owners of the office site, John and Deb Calabrese, who lived upstairs, escaped uninjured with an apparent passerby banged on the door yelling the building was on fire.

As many as 15 fire companies were called to the scene. When firefighters arrived, they were met with fire blowing out of all of the windows on the second floor.

A second alarm call was made because of the heavy flames showing and a perceived difficulty in getting volunteer firefighters to the scene because of church services, Huber noted.

The complex has 12 tenants. Half of the offices were damaged, mainly those in the front of the building.

The fire started on the first floor and spread to the second floor. A state fire marshal was still on the scene at noon to determine a cause and damage estimate.

Route 23 was closed until about 11:45 a.m.

The Village Center is home to several first-floor shops including a nail salon and Vigis Parties, a catering service.