With shops and restaurants, Lititz is a great place to just wander around.
Here are a few places to stop in as you amble along.
Lititz Springs Park
Originally maintained by the Lititz Moravian Congregation, this 19-acre park just west of the square was turned over to the town in 1956 and now operates as a nonprofit organization.
The park features a stream, shaded walkways, pavilions, playground equipment and a bandshell. A stone wall is built around the elliptical head of the spring where in 1857 Lititz resident Julius Augustus Beck carved a lion.
After a vandal destroyed the original lion carving in 2005, a life-sized lion sculpture was installed on an outcropping above the original lion’s head. lititzspringspark.org
Lititz Moravian Church
The Lititz Moravian Church, 8 Church Square, offers guided as well as self-guided tours of the church square and grounds.
Brochures for self-guided tours are next to the map in front of the Brothers’ House, west of the church building.
The Lititz Moravian Museum and Archives features rare historical items including a colonial era fire engine and a viola made in the American colonies.
The archives and museum is open from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Fridays and Saturdays from May through October, or by appointment. lititzmoravian.org.
Lititz Museum and Johannes Mueller House
Displays at at the Lititz Museum, which are housed in the circa-1793 Christian Schropp home at 145 E. Main St., include an illustrated timeline of Lititz’s history as well as a room dedicated to and including items from the home of Gen. John Sutter, founder of Sacramento and resident of Lititz from 1871 to 1880.
Next door, at the Johannes Mueller House, costumed docents lead visitors through a 1792 home that highlights furnishings and architecture of the period.
The Lititz Museum, Johannes Mueller House costumed, 45-minute guided tours and the gift shop are open 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Monday-Saturday beginning Memorial Day through the last Saturday in October.
The Lititz Museum and the gift shop remain open 10 a.m.-4 p.m. every Friday and Saturday in November and December until the Saturday before Christmas. lititzhistoricalfoundatin.com
Although the Wilbur Chocolate museum and retail store is no longer part of an actual Lititz candy factory, it’s still a popular downtown stop.
In October 2016, the store and museum opened at 45 N. Broad St., across the street from the former candy factory that closed in January of that year. The new retail store includes a museum of Wilbur artifacts.
The building, which was originally Long & Bomberger Hardware store and was more recently occupied by Freeze & Frizz, was renovated to look like the former factory store.
Like the previous Wilbur store, the new one sells Wilbur Buds and other products and has a kitchen where candies are made. wilburbuds.com
Julius Sturgis Pretzel Bakery
The Julius Sturgis Pretzel Bakery at 219 E. Main St. offers visitors a hands-on tour in the building where Julius Sturgis began a pretzel bakery in 1861.
Considered the first commercial pretzel bakery in the United States, the bakery is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1784 by Peter Kreiter, the house is one of the original structures in Lititz and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The pretzel house had closed in December 2006 but was bought and renovated the following year by Lititz Improvement, a private investment group that spent $100,000 on upgrades to the property. juliussturgis.com