Grab your muck boots. Mud sales are around the corner.
Throughout Lancaster County and its neighbors, there are more than 20 mud sales where you can buy anything from horses to hammers.
The 2020 sales start at Strasburg Fire Company on Friday, Feb. 28, and continue through the fall.
For many volunteer fire companies, the sales are the biggest fundraiser of the year. At the Gap Fire Company mud sale (Friday, March 27, and Saturday, March 28), organizers expect to raise about $70,000, Mel Riehl, sale chairman, says. That includes proceeds from the food sales, from a full-course breakfast to doughnuts and milkshakes.
At West Earl Fire Company’s annual sale, there’s a baked goods auction that usually attracts a bidding war over strawberry pie. At least one pie sells for more than $400, says Kristopher Pursel, a member of the fire company.
While the weather might be bitter cold or soggy, they attract a lot of people. Some sales have become so popular, organizers split the event over two days.
“How does a town with no stoplight handle 10,000 people? Come to Gordonville,” says Glenn Horst, past sale organizer.
Here’s more about each sale in the region:
Friday, Feb. 28, and Saturday, Feb. 29:
Strasburg Spring Sale
- When: Friday evening, the small crafts and auction starts at 4:30 p.m. Saturday’s auctions start at 8 a.m.
- Where: Strasburg Fire Company, 203 Franklin St., Strasburg
- More information: 717-687-7232 or strasburgfire.com
Friday, March 6, and Saturday, March 7:
Bart Twp. Fire Company 56th Annual All Day and Mud Sale
- When: A craft sale is Friday, March 6, from 4:30-8 p.m. Saturday, the auctions start at 8:30 a.m. The building material and craft sale starts at 8:30 a.m., Saturday, March 21.
- Where: Bart Twp. Fire Company, 11 Furnace Road, Quarryville
- More information: 717-786-3348 or bart51.com
Friday, March 13, and Saturday, March 14:
Gordonville Spring Mud Sale & Auction
- When: The craft and antique sale starts Friday, March 13 at 4-8 p.m. (Preview opens at 1 p.m.) The main sales start Saturday, March 14 at 8 a.m.
- Where: Gordonville Fire Company, 3204 Vigilant St./Old Leacock Road, Gordonville
- More information: 43fireems.com or facebook.com/gordonvillesale
Friday, March 20, and Saturday, March 21:
Penryn Volunteer Fire Company Sale
- When: A preview of Saturday’s auction is Friday from noon to 9 p.m. Friday’s auctions are usually at night. The schedule has not been set. Saturday’s auctions start at 8 a.m. The sale benefits the fire company and Limerock Parochial School.
- Where: Penryn Volunteer Fire Company, 1441 North Penryn Road, Manheim
- More information: 717-664-2825 or penrynfire.com
Saturday, March 21:
West Earl Fire Company 32nd Annual Consignment and Quilt Auction
- When: Auctions starts at 8 a.m. Breakfast starts at 7 a.m.
- Where: West Earl Fire Company, 14 School Lane Ave., Brownstown
- More information: 717-656-6791 westearlfire.org
Friday, March 27:
Farmersville Fire Company Community Sale
- When: Auctions start at 4:30 p.m. Note: The sale will be on a Friday, not a Thursday, because there were complaints about the sale ending late on a weekday night.
- Where: Farmersville Volunteer Fire Company, 74 E. Farmersville Road, Ephrata
- More information: 717-354-5094
Friday, March 27, and Saturday, March 28:
Gap Fire Company Mud Sale
- When: Crafts, shrubs and sporting goods auctions starts 4:30 p.m. Friday. Saturday auctions start at 8 a.m.
- Where: Gap Fire Company, 802 Pequea Avenue, Gap. Parking and shuttles are being planned but the location has not been selected.
- More information: 717-442-8100 or 610-593-2480 or gapfire.org
Saturday, April 4: Robert Fulton Sale
- When: The main auctions started at 8:15 a.m. A horse sale will be held Tuesday, March 31. Auctions start at noon for work horses and 6 p.m. for driving horses.
- Where: Robert Fulton Volunteer Fire Company, 2271 Robert Fulton Hwy. (Routes 272 & 222), Peach Bottom
- More information: 717-548-8995
Friday, April 17, and Saturday, April 18:
Rawlinsville Mud Sale
- When: Friday’s craft auction starts at 5 p.m. and Saturday’s auctions starts at 8 a.m.
- Where: Rawlinsville Volunteer Fire Company, 33 Martic Heights Drive, Holtwood.
- More information: 717-284-3023
Saturday, April 18:
Schoeneck Fire Company Mud Sale and Quilt Auction
- When: The auctions start at 9 a.m. The quilt auction starts at 11 a.m.
- Where: Schoeneck Fire Company, 125 N. King St., Denver
- More information: 717-336-6767
Saturday, May 2:
Fivepointville Consignment Auction/Mud Sale
- When: The auctions start at 8:30 a.m.
- Where: Fivepointville Fire Company, 1087 Dry Tavern Road, Denver
- More information: 717-445-4933
Saturday, May 16:
Weaverland Valley Annual Mud Sale
- When: Saturday, auctions start at 8:30 a.m.
- Where: Weaverland Produce Auction, 1030 Precast Road, New Holland
- More information: 717-445-5072
Step inside a mud sale in this 360-video.
Saturday, June 13:
Kinzer Fire Company Mud Sale
- When: Auctions start at 8:30 a.m.
- Where: Kinzer Volunteer Fire Co., 3521 Lincoln Hwy. East (Rt. 30), Kinzers
- More information: 717-442-9148
Thursday, June 25, and Friday, June 26:
Lancaster County Carriage and Antique Auction
- When: The auctions, which benefit Bird-in-Hand Volunteer Fire Company, start at 3:30 p.m. Thursday (with nursery items, antiques and crafts) and 8 a.m. Friday.
- Where: 338 North Ronks Road, Bird in Hand. Do not use the old entrance on Old Philadelphia Pike.
- More information: 717-392-0112 or birdinhandauction.com
Friday, June 26, and Saturday, June 27:
Refton Fire Company Mud Sale
- When: The auctions start at 5 p.m. Friday and 8:30 a.m. Saturday.
- Where: Refton Volunteer Fire Co., 99 Church St., Willow Street
- More information: 717-786-6364 or 717-786-9462
Friday, August 7, and Saturday, Aug. 8:
Gap Relief Auction
- When: Friday’s auctions start at 7:15 p.m. (doors open at 4 p.m.) and Saturday’s auctions start at 8:30 a.m. Benefits Mennonite Central Committee.
- Where: Solanco Fairgrounds, 172 S. Lime Street, Quarryville
- More information: 717-786-0880 or bit.ly/2020GapAuction
Friday, August 14, and Saturday, August 15:
Intercourse Fire Company Consignment Auction
- When: Friday auctions are 4-8 p.m. and Saturday auctions are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Where: Intercourse Fire Company, 10 North Hollander Road, Intercourse
- More information: 717-768-3402
Saturday, August 22:
Bareville Fire Company Consignment Auction
- Where: Bareville Volunteer Fire Company, 211 East Main St., Leola
- More information: 717-656-7554
And outside the county:
Saturday, March 21:
Airville Volunteer Fire Company Spring Auction
- When: Auctions starts at 8:30 a.m.
- Where: Airville Volunteer Fire Co., 3576 Delta Road (Rt. 74), Airville, York County
- More information: 717-862-3723
Friday, May 8, and Saturday, May 9:
Honey Brook Fire Company Annual Consignment Auction
- When: Last year, nursery and plant auctions started Friday at 6 p.m. Saturday auctions started at 8:30 a.m. Organizers have not set this year’s schedule, but it is expected to be similar to last year’s.
- Where: Honey Brook Fire Company, Romano 4H Center, 1841 Horseshoe Pike, Honey Brook
- More information: 610-273-2688 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday, October 24:
Cochranville Fire Company 30th Annual Auction
- Where: Cochranville Volunteer Fire Company, 3135 Limestone Road, Cochranville
- More information: 610-593-5800 or facebook.com/cochranvillefire