Nonprofits, school groups, houses of worship and other groups learned long ago the way to people’s hearts — and often their monetary donations — is through their stomachs.
Every year, the calendar of food and beverage tasting events — many of them fundraisers for nonprofits and institutions around Lancaster County — seems to expand.
The spring tasting-event season is already in full swing. Here’s a list of some of the events you can attend over the next three months to sample food, wine and beer for a good cause.
(Note that when ordering tickets online, there may be processing fees added to the admission price.)
• What: A festival of Greek food and music. Food includes various Greek dishes and pastries. Takeout or eat in. Platters include gyro, fries and a Greek salad.
• When: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, May 11.
• Where: Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church, 64 Hershey Ave.
• Admission: $10 in advance; $12 at the door.
• Tickets and information: At the church office, weekdays 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; 717-394-1735; online (with 40-cent fee) at bit.ly/GreekGyrofest19.
Lancaster VegFest, Lancaster
• What: Vegan food, entertainment, animals, yoga, vendors, farmers market, chef demonstration and speaker panels providing information about a plant-based lifestyle.
• When: noon to 5 p.m. Saturday June 1.
• Where: Buchanan Park, 901 Buchanan Ave.
• Admission: Free. VIP tickets are $35, which includes early (11 a.m.) admission to the festival, 10 raffle tickets and a festival tote bag filled with coupons and samples. Order VIP tickets at bit.ly/VegFestVIP2019.
• Information: pavegfest.com.
Taste of Lititz, Lititz
• What: More than 25 Lititz restaurants and other food-related businesses will serve samples of variety of foods. There will also be beverages from local breweries, wineries and distilleries. There will be live music, local artist demonstrations and family-friendly games hosted by local nonprofits.
• When: 5-9 p.m. Friday, June 7.
• Where: Along Broad and Main streets in downtown Lititz.
• Benefits: Venture Lititz; proceeds go to supporting community programming in Lititz.
• Admission: $5 for 13 and older; $2 for ages 4-12; 3 and under, free.
• Tickets and information: Tickets will be available at the event, and also at businesses around Lititz (to be announced closer to the date on the event page on Facebook).
Food Truck Fest, Lancaster
• What: A variety of foods are available from more than 16 food trucks. There will be family-friendly activities, raffles, live music and police cars, fire engines and other vehicles for kids to tour.
• When: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, June 8.
• Where: Stauffer Park, 1241 Lititz Pike.
• Benefits: The Occupational Development Center and the Manheim Township Recreation Department.
• Admission: Free; you can buy food from the individual trucks.
Ephrata Brewfest, Ephrata
• What: Beer samples from more than 20 breweries, plus food vendors and live entertainment.
• When: 1-4 p.m. June 22.
• Where: Whistle Stop Plaza, 20 E. Main St., Ephrata
• Benefits: Ephrata Public Library, Mainspring of Ephrata and the Ephrata Recreation Center.
• Admission: $35 in advance; Designated driver tickets are $10. Tickets go on sale April 1 at bit.ly/EphrataBrewfest2019.
• Information: ephratabrewfest.com.
Taste and Tour, Lancaster
• What: An outdoor evening of sampling foods from area restaurants, breweries and wineries, plus lawn games and fireworks.
• When: 6-9 p.m. Saturday, June 22.
• Where: The home of Mary Burton & Laurent Horne, 900 Sheaffer Road.
• Benefits: The community enhancement fund, improving care for residents of The Long Community at Highland, a Presbyterian senior living community.
• Admission: $40 per person or $70 per couple.
• Information and tickets: bit.ly/TasteandTour2019.