Five people who suggested ways to top a hot dog that would make it represent Lancaster County have been named finalists in the first Lancaster Dog competition at The Limerick Neighborhood Delicatessen, 601 N. Lime St.
Limerick owner Michael Sirianni announced the finalists and their topping ingredients Monday afternoon.
The topped hot dogs are set to be assembled and judged during a showcase early next month.
Out of 41 submitted sets of hot dog toppings, the staff at the deli chose these five finalists:
• Shannon McCoy: A hot dog topped with red beet egg salad, mustard and crushed pretzels and served on a pretzel roll.
• Audrey Heinz: A hot dog topped with a pepper jelly/cream cheese spread and crispy maple scrapple bits and served on a pretzel roll.
• Kari Shirley: A hot dog topped with shoofly-glazed bacon, spicy chow-chow and crushed Martin’s Kettle Chips.
• Adam Willard: A hot dog topped with sauerkraut, melted cheddar, apple butter and chives.
• Jason Ingariola: A hot dog wrapped in Lebanon bologna, topped with cream cheese, sauerkraut and mustard and served on a pretzel roll.
The winning wiener will be added to Limerick’s menu for a year, and its creator will win a $50 gift certificate to the deli.
Once the judging panel is assembled, the deli will announce the date of the showcase on its Facebook page.