State police proposal a double tax
To the editors:
So, state Rep. Mike Sturla and other politicians want to charge the citizens in certain townships a special tax to help pay for bridge and road repairs, because we don't have our own police forces.
First, let me say the reason I'm glad that we don't have a police force anymore is because of the outrageous costs.
Second, the state police are in our backyard, and I currently am paying for those services. Why should we be charged twice for the same service?
I think we are just smarter for not having them anymore. I also thought that the gas tax was to be used for road and bridge repairs.
Here is a list of what you the politicians need to do before asking us for more tax money:
1. Clean up the corruption in PennDOT. Get rid of the overpaid, underqualified managers who are wasting our money.
2. Pay for your own medical benefits. That will save the taxpayers several million every year.
3. Eliminate the guaranteed pension and, if you feel you need money for retirement, then set up your own 401(k), as we have to. Get rid of the two-term clause. Most of us must work 20-plus years before receiving a pension.
4. Start doing the business of the people. You tell us what you think we want to hear at election time and, when you are re-elected, you fulfill your own agendas.
5. Eliminate all the perks you get, like per diem and mileage. I have to drive nearly two hours each way for my job and no one pays me mileage.
6. Maybe you should all take a hefty pay cut to the level of minimum wage.