Words that tripped up spellers
Here's a list of Lancaster County's best spellers in grades six through eight -- from the winner to the first student knocked out -- and the words that stumped them in Friday's Intelligencer Journal Spelling Bee.
1. Hannah Citsay, St. Anne School; none.
2. Janae Taft, Conestoga Valley Middle School; fractal misspelled as fractile.
3. Arianna Banning, Conestoga Valley Middle School; eatage misspelled as edage.
4. Christina McBride, Brownstown Elementary; onerous misspelled as honorous.
5. Hope Hensgen, Centerville Middle School; facilely misspelled as facily.
6. Jordan Texidor, Lincoln Middle School; ecru misspelled as acrew.
7. John Fulton, Lancaster Country Day School; quisling misspelled as quizling.
8 Emalie Martzall, Bonfield Elementary School; kuruma misspelled as kurama.
9. Elaine McClain-Rowe, Elizabethtown Area Middle School; as babka misspelled as bobkah.
10. Will Yaeger, Rohrerstown Elementary School; jiva misspelled as dgiva.
11. Caroline Ford, Lancaster Country Day School; oratorio misspelled as oritorio.
12. Nathan Musser, Martin Meylin Middle School; croquette misspelled as crocquet.
13. Grace Musser, Martin Meylin Middle School; wanton misspelled as wontun.
14. Tyler Lyons, Manheim Central Middle School; kama misspelled as comma.
15. Ian Flood, Landisville Middle School; palette misspelled as palete.
16. Aparna Paul, Elizabethtown Area Middle School; libretto misspelled as lebretto.
17. Adeet Parikh, Landisville Intermediate Center; gestalt misspelled as geshtalt.
18. Logan Emmert, Martin Meylin Middle School; sukiyaki misspelled as sukiaki.
19. Natalie Cadiz, Lincoln Middle School; quesadilla misspelled as quesidilla.
20. Hunter Smith, Resurrection Catholic School; knish misspelled as kaniche.
21. Lizzie Grosh, Landisville Middle School; insidious misspelled as insideous.
22. Kaitlyn Graybill, Smith Middle School; gazpacho misspelled as gespacho.
23. Selena Gerlach, home-school; ambivalent misspelled as ambivelant.
24. Emily Duvall, Smith Middle School; piazza misspelled as piatza.
25. Dayne Allen, Warwick Middle School; ambiguity misspelled as abugunity.
26. Simon Munyan, Elizabethtown Area Middle School; tortoni misspelled as tortony.
27. Joshua Kreider, Smith Middle School; impasse misspelled as impass.
28. Desiree Amewotho, Leola Elementary; mootable misspelled as moodable.
29. Sierra Warner, Donegal Junior High School; knavery misspelled as naivery.
30. Savannah Mead, Conestoga Valley Middle School; anchovy misspelled as anchovie.
31. Zion Gibbs, Donegal Intermediate School; homonym misspelled as homymym.
32. Kyle Dawson, Ephrata Middle School; crusoe misspelled as cruco.