Some in Pa. who were eligible lost Medicaid
HARRISBURG (AP) -- About 3,000 people who had been bumped off the state's Medicaid rolls amid a case review that alarmed advocates for the poor were found to be eligible for the health care program, Gov. Tom Corbett's top public welfare official told senators on Tuesday.
Bev Mackereth, the Department of Public Welfare's acting secretary, told a Senate Appropriations Committee hearing that her agency made the discovery after sending more than 100,000 letters to people who'd had their cases closed after the review began in August 2011.
"When this administration took over, there was a backlog of cases for redetermination that had not been looked at," Mackereth told senators after being questioned about it. "We did look at those cases, and the department also sent out letters to people that they believed could be eligible, and out of all the letters sent out, which was over 100,000, 3 percent actually turned out to be eligible."
It was not clear Tuesday if the department knew whether the other 97 percent of households were ineligible or whether DPW simply never heard back from them.