Horses saved from Little Britain barn fire
BY JENNIFER TODD, Staff Writer
Several horses were saved after a barn caught fire Wednesday night in Little Britain Township.
A rescue worker was taken to the hospital after being knocked down by a horse.
Emergency personnel were called to the area of 311 Nottingham Road just after 9 p.m.
Officials arriving at the scene saw heavy smoke billowing from the multisection barn, which still had some horses inside, according to Robert Fulton Deputy Chief Matt Barto.
The owners of the property were working to rescue the animals, he said.
"(The owners) were just letting them go, trying to get them out as fast as they could," Barto said.
In the midst of the rescue, one of the animals "got spooked" and knocked down a member of the ambulance crew, Barto said.
The woman was taken to Lancaster General Hospital. Barto said he had no information about her injuries.
He said the fire started near a skid loader in the basement of the barn but said he didn't know specifically what sparked the blaze.
The fire will be investigated by a state police fire marshal, he added.
Barto said the two-story wooden barn, which is comprised of three sections -- two end buildings that measure about 100 feet by 60 feet and a middle section about 90 feet by 50 feet -- sustained no structural damage.
He said the structure was ventilated and horses were being put back in the building late Wednesday.
Loss of the skid loader was estimated at $4,000, according to Barto.