Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era
Clay Township residents worried about 'pond,' speeding
BY GIL WELLIVER, Correspondent
It may be a new year, but the concerns of Clay Township residents haven't changed.
The discussion at the Jan. 14 supervisors meeting focused on speeding and sinkholes.
David Martin, of 502 Foggy Bottom Road, said he is worried that Wildflower Pond residents will have to pay for the care and maintenance of the "pond" that doubles as the development's stormwater-retention basin.
At a Dec. 27 meeting between residents and a representative of Wildflower Pond, it was revealed that the homeowners association would be responsible for the stormwater basin.
Martin said he believes the township should have to take on the costs of repairing the sinkholes that have formed in the basin.
At the December meeting, the association was informed that homeowners would be assessed 66 percent of the cost, while billing the remaining 34 percent to the owner of an adjacent Two Cousin's Italian restaurant, which fronts on Route 322. The exact cost has yet to be determined.
Also at the Jan. 14 meeting, Judy Blanchard and Peter Leach, residents of Clay School Road, told officials that speeding around a curve in the road near the Route 322 intersection is a problem, despite signage warning drivers of the curve.
The installation of rumble strips and road reflection delineators, as well as moving speed limit signs, were all suggested as possible solutions to improve safety in the area.
In a related matter, Lincoln Garden resident Herb Noack asked about the status of speed limit signs for Countryside and Woodchuck drives.
Supervisors said they expect to have the signs available and installed within the next two weeks.
Noack also advised the supervisors of overflowing refuse containers at the municipal park in Charity Gardens.
In other action:
n Supervisors granted waivers and conditional approval to the stormwater management plan of Clayton Martin & Sons for a single-family dwelling and garage to be built on a wooded lot off Furnace Hill Road.
n The board received a 120-day extension from Eastern Mennonite Publications about taking action on a final land development plan. The new expiration date will be May 21.
n Supervisors approved a change order for $674 to Bertolet Construction for the Rock Road Bridge repair project. Supervisors also approved two payments, totaling $28,898, for the project.
For more Ephrata area news, visit: