Fire damages house in W. Hempfield
BY RYAN ROBINSON, Staff Writer
Fire sparked by discarded ashes caused $15,000 damage to a house in West Hempfield Township on Monday morning, an official said.
Residents of 3481 Dawn View Drive called 911 at 2:48 a.m. and said their house was full of smoke from an unknown source, West Hempfield Fire & Rescue Deputy Chief Jason Sauder said.
Then they discovered fire in their garage.
The three residents exited safely on their own, Sauder said. No one was injured.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze and placed the scene under control shortly after 3 a.m., Sauder said.
Damage to the garage from the fire was estimated at $15,000.
"The cause of the fire was hot ashes in a cardboard box that they had placed right outside the garage (Sunday) night," Sauder said. "The fire burned through a walk-in door of the garage."
West Hempfield firefighters were assisted by Mountville, Hempfield, Columbia No. 1 and Susquehanna fire companies and Susquehanna Valley EMS.
Dawn View Drive was closed for a time.